WordPress Monthly Care Plans
You Can Relax Because We Have Your Site Covered
All WordPress Monthly Care Plans Include:
WordPress core updates managed | theme and operational plugins updated each month | daily backups | malware scanning | total site clones | Stormchasers Helpdesk Support | Yoast (SEO) Plugin installation | WordPress and Yoast training videos integrated with your site for direct access | monthly actions report | no minimum term.
This standard package is £29 + VAT per month
The Performance Plan Also Includes:
Performance WordPress Hosting | Staging Site | Daily Clone | CDN (content distribution network) | built-in Security Software for added protection
Performance plan is £49 + VAT per month
Frequently Asked Questions
Operational plugins are used to help with the sorts of functions most of us typically expect most websites to perform for us.
Social Media Sharing
They keep it up and running, may make it work faster and help you connect with your visitors.
Typically they are well maintained by the developers and so can be updated when WordPress is.
Non-Operational plugins are things like e-commerce, Learning Management Systems, Membership Systems, booking and event management plugins, multi-site and advanced content plugins.
Problems often arise with these plugins that are not directly linked to the running of the website and sometimes they also involve a third party.
For example, an e-commerce plugin such as WooCommerce is linked to a payment gateway (e.g Stripe, Barclaycard, WorldPay, etc) which will update how they interact and this can result in the payment system e-commerce of your website not working.
Some plugins may need exceptionally fast page load times to function properly and so your website may need extra optimisation to maintain performance.
Similarly, Membership Site and Learning Management Systems have lots of different elements built-in to automate delivery of content to paying and non-paying clients which naturally introduces many more elements into the system for management.
How do you handle websites with the non-operational plugins?
We start off by assuming everything will be ok and we get you started on the Performance Plan.
If there is a problem when we come to update, such as plugin conflicts, or you report a problem to us where something isn't working then we charge you our preferred client rate of £50 + VAT per hour to sort it out. We charge pro-rata by the minute and can provide a detailed report of what happened and what we did to put it right.
How We Get You Started
1. Payment for your first month (£29 or £49 + VAT) paid through Stripe (Credit and Debit Cards) after you have done the electronic signature.
2. We gather information from you about your existing host, domain etc.
3. Before we transfer your website to our management system, we take backups, a clone and then carry out any updates needed to the WordPress Core Software, Theme and Plugins.
4. At this stage, we will identify any problems with the software managing your website.
5. If all is ok, we will proceed to migrate you to our management system and your site should not be offline for more than 30 minutes or so. *
6. If there are issues, such as out of date, or unsupported plugins or theme, we will tell you at this stage and advise what the implications are, what actions take be taken. If you are migrating to our Premium Care, we will also need to check that your site does not have any unauthorised plugins and we may need to suggest other options for you.
If you decide not to go ahead for any reason we will refund your initial payment at this stage.
7. Initial security checks and security improvements will be carried out and the details included in your initial report.
8. You will get an initial performance report covering website and site speed, and broken links.
9. If you have chosen the Premium Care we will apply your free SSL Certificate or import your existing SSL.
10. The monthly payments for your ongoing support are scheduled to recur each month from the date of your first payment. Each month you will get an invoice for the payment which will usually be collected through Direct Debit using GoCardless.
11. At the start of each month, your site will again be updated, if any updates are required, and you will get a report showing what actions have been taken.
12. If the WordPress Core has a significant update outside of your monthly scheduled updates, we will carry out additional updates and tell you what we have done in your usual monthly actions report.
* Typically the migration takes 30 minutes, but it can take up to 48 hours. This is why we do this at the weekend, but if you have another time when your business is closed or quiet, we can do it then.
What Will Happen When My Site Is Migrated To Your Performance Hosting?
If you are going to the Premium package there should be some improvement in speed once we have you set up and everything is up to date.
If you have lots of big images, clunky coding and other things slowing up your site, you may wish to consider having the performance optimised which we can do on an hourly basis for you at £50 + VAT per hour.
As soon as we have you on board, backups and clones will be taken so we all know your site is as safe as it can be.
You're In Control
We will give you all of the login and contact details you need to be in control of your hosting, where applicable, if you need it. We will be sorting all of that out for you, but one of our key values for business is that you have 100% control of your website if you want it.
We aim for an 'uptime' of 100% and our records are good, but this isn't usually achievable although we are around 98.9%.
Also being up and running doesn't mean that absolutely everything will be working all the time. Contact Forms, galleries, category posts and menu's are all known to become detached or stop working from time to time and so additional repair may be needed. If it's a simple fix we may be able to sort it out as we are doing your updates. If that's not possible, we promise to keep our charges to a minimum and we also charge pro-rata by the minute so you will never have to pay more than is necessary.
Keeping you up and running also doesn't mean your website will be super speedy. For most websites the speed will be good, however, if you have lots of posts, unoptimised images or special features and payment gateways, then you may need additional optimisation beyond the premium hosting.
As soon as we are aware of significant performance problems, we will tell you and advise you about how they can be fixed.
If you would like us to work on speed and performance optimisation, that is an additional charge. We can carry out some initial works and we can prioritise the most important issues, measure and test the impacts for you to keep it within your budget.
Optimisation for speed is also an ongoing process which means we will help you to keep it up to date as far as possible when you are adding new posts and pages by pointing you to resources such as image compressors.
We can carry out some initial works and we can prioritise the most important issues, measure and test the impacts for you to keep it within your budget.
We do offer a full management service where we can test and maintain all functions such as menu's, forms, payment and booking systems at our preferred client rate of £50 + VAT per hour. We can agree up front what you would like to achieve, what your budget is and how we can help you.
The whole purpose of our client plans is preventative care, so we aim to prevent anything like that from happening in the first place.
We cannot promise your website will not be hacked but can promise we will do everything in our power to prevent it and to get you back up and running asap.
If you are in the Premium package, security software is included which means cleaning up is much easier.
A Break includes things like:
- gallery not displaying properly
- page layout disrupted
- links on menus not working
- blog posts not displaying snippets correctly
- featured images not showing
However, if something does go wrong, the first thing we can do is reinstate it from the last backup or clone.
If the WordPress Core has a significant update, which can happen automatically every few weeks, we will manage this and update the Theme and Plugins when it happens.
If there isn't a WordPress Core update we will check your website once a month and carry out any Theme or Plugin updates.
This means that from time to time you will spot update alerts on the admin panel of your website.
If you have a complex site we may need to carry out updates more often. We will advise you and these can be carried out using our preferred client hourly rate of £50 + VAT per hour.
- If a plugin proves troublesome and cannot be changed because it is critical to your service, we will tell you if additional maintenance is needed and the pricing may need to be reviewed. We can include additional work as billable over and above your monthly service at £50 + VAT per hour and we charge pro-rata by the minute.
- Theme problems which include theme out of date and not supported or theme licence invalid/not present. (If we have built your website and provided your theme it will be up to date and fully licensed). There are literally thousands of WordPress themes and some of them are better than others. If the theme software isn't updated by the original developer then eventually the website may stop working and a new theme will be needed. Some themes are built in such a way that updates are complicated and need bespoke changes. A theme which started out well can also develop problems after a while. We will tell you if we encounter problems and help you with the technical considerations to decide how to move forward.
- Monitoring for, diagnosing and correction of website breakages. If any are reported we will re-instate to the last backup/clone.
- Testing of forms, downloads, uptime testing.
- Amendments to any website, copy, design or images.
- SEO, Google Analytics or marketing performance reports.
- Training (videos are included), strategy or consultation.
- Emergency or out of hours response.
- Email service support (this is for the hosting and maintenance of the emails associated with your domain).
- Broken link identification and repair
All of the above can be added in for an additional cost of £50 + VAT per hour and can be organised monthly so your time is guaranteed, or you can pay for ad-hoc extra time when you need it.
A staging site is a 'duplicate' website where you can make changes to your website without touching the live site.
You can toggle between the live site and the staging site.
If you wanted to change the menu structure, add new pages and posts and try new layouts, you would first 'push' the live site to the staging site.
You can now try out new things on the staging site, whilst your live site stays the same.
When you are happy with the changes you've made, you do the opposite and 'push' the staging site to the live site.
A CDN or Content Delivery Network is really for websites that have a global reach.
It speeds up the delivery of the content of your website to global visitors by using servers based on the location of your visitors.
A CDN can also provide protection against large surges in traffic which can happen in response to a world event or special promotion.
For the most part, we aim to use local or UK servers but this may change and we won't necessarily inform you.
If you are outside of the UK we may seek a solution local to you.
If we are not using UK servers for any reason, and this is likely to continue, we will monitor quality and performance and make changes to how we deliver the service and will only inform you proactively if it is critical to your service.
As a preferred client, we offer you a rate of £50 + VAT per hour for development and repair work, such as:
Advanced Plugin and Theme support
Fault finding and correction
Speed and image optimisation
Broken link repair
Reorganising design, fonts, images, etc
Adding new logos and branding
Menu and taxonomy changes
We can also publish new posts and pages for you or change existing content for £35 + VAT per hour. This is designed for when you've written the content yourself but would like someone else to do the more techie posting side.
Strategy, Google Analytics Pipeline Design and Implementation is available at a Consultation rate of £125 + VAT per hour
You will always have login details and total control over your hosting and the management of your WordPress Website.
When we start to support you, we will ask you to add us as an Admin into the WordPress Dashboard. This means you still have your own access.
We will recommend and set up an Editor access for you. This means you can go in and do any publishing you want without affecting the updates we are making to your site or the structure provided by the theme.
As we are promising to keep our aim of keeping your website up and running for you, we need to be certain that changes are not being made that could affect our ability to do this. Examples are adding new plugins. It can appear simple to add a new plugin with a simple click, but plugins can conflict with each other, the theme and if they are of a poor quality coding, be generally destructive.
To enable us to track the cause of any potential problems we install a tracking plugin which will help us to solve any issues asap.
Our care plans are as cost-effective as we can make them and so we need to keep administration to a minimum. This is why we only accept payments by direct debit through Go-Cardless or by Credit Card through Stripe or Paypal. This is also why if you want to pay by credit card we add on the processing fee of 2.9%. This means that each individual client is getting the best possible priced care plan.
After we've stopped weeping, we will make sure you have all of the information you need to migrate to a different host if you wish.
You can of course downgrade and keep your hosting with us and sort out the WordPress Care yourself or with another provider.
We do ask that you give us 30 days notice.
Remember you will always have the details of your hosting and your WordPress Admin and your own domain name so you are free to do what you want. You have control.
WordPress performance hosting covers just the WordPress website. It does not cover emails or non-WordPress or third party files or directories.
You need to host your domain and email, and in fact you more than likely already do. To achieve the performance and security all non-WordPress clutter is kept separate.
If you contracted us to build your website we will have sorted out your hosting during the process, so you're covered.
We can recommend a hosting provider if you wish.
If you need any further explanation please contact us.
WordPress Upgrades and Additions
Theme updates for a new look. Fancy functions like Directories, Booking Engines, Magazine and Newsletter integration, E-commerce, Membership and Learning Managment Systems (LMS) - it's endless what you can do with WordPress!